Posted by Hikaru “Fukatsu no” Freeman
Andy grew up calling it a signature tune. Hikaru grew up calling it a theme song. The “It” being the piece of music that signified the beginning or ending of a part of media.
These days there is a rather lack of this music on television.
Andy & Hikaru delve into the history of the signature tune/theme song and show why it still should be preserved.
Plus, an example of how the signature tune/theme song can reach across the linguistic divide to communicate what a show is about.
If you want to play along with the theme song Hikaru played for Andy, take a look at this video:
And yes, it is true, “Alone Again (Naturally)” was the opening theme song for a Japanese show about a widow.
- I Heard It Through The Podcastrophe (fullcatastrophe.wordpress.com)
- Progress: From the Podcastrophe Archives (fullcatastrophe.wordpress.com)
- The Full Broadcasting Podcastrophe (fullcatastrophe.wordpress.com)
- The Gangnam Podcastrophe (fullcatastrophe.wordpress.com)
- Alicia Keys sings the Gummi Bears theme song, and it’s beautiful (io9.com)